We are living in a fast-changing world, in which many issues are arising, for example, population growth and economic development is leading to increase in energy consumption that causes a consideable pressure on the natural environment and biological carrying capacity of our planet.
Although conservation and economic development have different goals, they both focus on addressing issues including ineffective management and significantly increased consumption caused by economic and population growth. Among those solutions for those problems, sustainable energy development is considered as a promising answer.
Project Manager, LCD
Tel: 84 4 37193049 Ext: 154
Fax: 84 4 37193048
What is WWF-Vietnam doing for sustainable energy development in Vietnam?
So far, the LCD project has achieved some remarkable results as follows:
• Established Vietnam Sustainable Energy Alliance (VSEA) and created partnership networks with other organizations to raise sufficient fund for the operation of VSEA.
• Supported and advocated policies regarding sustainable energy development in Vietnam.
• Closely cooperated with social organizations such as Women's Union, Youth Union and media agencies including Vietnam Television and other relevant agencies to spread messages of LCD projects through many activities, for instance, exhibitions, forums and field trips, etc.
• Promoted the participation of private and local companies in sustainable energy use. Initially, the project created a close relationship among local Government authorities (Department of Commerce and Center of Technology and Energy Efficiency of Hue province), local businesses to provide solutions of sustainable energy technology to consumers by trade exhibitions.
• Implemented sustainable energy solutions such as the improved cook stoves, biogas stoves, composite and recycled plastic HDPE, solar water heater systems and auto shrimp feeder. The pilot model was highly appreciated for reducing carbon emissions, efficiency using of natural resources and increasing income for users.
The project LCD finished in Dec 2014, however, a new plan is being prepared for the next period 2015-2018. The main goal of the next coming period is to focus on improving the role of civil society organizations in the energy development in Vietnam locally and nationally, as follows:
• The planning and policy making process of energy will be consulted by civil society organizations locally and nationally.
• The national and local social groups will be encouraged to participate actively in the process of planning and making policy regarding energy development. Solutions for sustainable energy development, especially for small and medium enterprises, will be applied and expanded with the active support and participation of civil society organizations, private sector and community.
WWF’s missions in sustainable energy development in Vietnam
Promoting sustainable energy development is regarded as one of the approaches to achieve objectives in conservation and sustainable development.